Thursday, September 11, 2014

John Muir Wilderness, California...



"Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean." John Muir

Jonathan and I didn't spend a week in JM's wilderness but pretty close. We ventured over 60 miles in six days of "Can you believe this?" scenery. This is a chunk of the US that is larger than life, like the man it was named after. There's 581,000 acres to get disoriented in. (A clever way of saying, getting lost). John's wild area contains more higher ground (over 10,000 feet) than any place else in the US. There's 57 granite cathedrals/synagogues over 13,000 feet. 

My beloved Colorado mountains seem like the Flint Hills of Kansas compared to the Eastern Sierra Nevada. I love this place and I'll spend more times in the playground of the pikas in the weeks ahead. That is, when my swollen knees stop throbbing and I regain the weight I lost from the 6 day effort. I think real food and a steady diet of IPAs will help.
I'm not complaining though. 

From Bishop, California.

Good Night Mr Muir and thanks,


No comments:

Post a Comment