Saturday, May 2, 2015

Scary Gulches etc...

That come with appropriately fearful names. They are Peek-a-boo and Spooky. Two short slot canyons that took me by surprise. I've heard about these Bad Boys but I knew next to nothing about them. I wasn't even sure where they were along the Hole-in-the-Rock road. I sort of fell into them. 

I've been in tight canyons before like Little Wild Horse north of here. That canyon was Alaskan sized compared to these two. I slithered through sideways praying there would be no obese people literally stuck in front of me. I regretted eating the ice cream bar the night before. I called ahead to make sure no one was coming my way. There wasn't enough room to turn around in. The sandstone walls were intimately close. So intimate, I thought I would light up a cigarette when the wrestling match was over. It was wild and not for the claustrophobic. 

I'm now making my way east through Canyon Country. Tonight I'm rough camping with Barley the Van along Deer Creek on the Burr Trail Road. The stream should be called Mosquito Creek. It's not even dark and the loathsome insects chased me inside. I'll leave early tomorrow before they get caffeinated and hungry. I've donated enough blood already. 
From the bony photo, you can see it didn't take long for me to start living off the land. Those "Slow Elk" are so easy to hunt. Jerry from Kanab taught me well.

Final photo: Spring is in the air! I'm sure I heard the male frog ask the she frog, "Where have you been all my life?" It was an Animal Planet moment. 

Enjoy! (That goes for you hackers in the Ukraine, China and the UAR too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment