Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Those who explore don’t always…



discover their own version of the Northwest Passage, although some, as in Roald Amundsen do. 

That plucky Norwegian made the journey in a lightweight ship with a crew of six. In other words, ultralight exploring. It took Mr. Amundsen three years (1903-1906) to complete the passage. 

Alas, Roald’s route was too shallow for commercial use. Therefore, it was deemed worthless to the powers to be. I’m sure Roald would disagree with history’s assessment of its value.

In 1910,  Mr. Amundsen was the first to arrive and survive at the South Pole. 




I won’t kid you. I explore, but my goals aren’t as lofty as the almost mythical Northwest Passage or the out and back traverse of the South Pole. Brrrrr!

For me, its simpler than that. I’m searching for more Happy Places.



On a recent escape from the Labor Day Weekend Four Corners Motorcycle Rally. (Which unfortunately is centered in Durango). I decided to shorten the long drive to Great Basin National Park by checking out Utah’s Fish Lake National Forest.

Blogs from my past escapes:



It’s a scattered National Forest adhering to places above the surrounding deserts where trees can actually grow.



For starters, I chose a three night campout in the forest’s geologic namesake-Fish Lake. Upon arriving at the Bowery Creek campground, I discovered cigarette butts littering the site, too many graffitied Aspen trees, (who cares if “Jane ❤️‘s John” in 2009?), an abundance of ATVs and the drone of RV generators.

The nearby hiking trails led up through stands of skeleton forests murdered by an insidious pathogen or bug. The landscape was rolling ridges punctuated by meadows and cows. It wasn’t exciting or Ansel Adams eye-catching. Scenery wise it was “meh”. 



My time there wasn’t all negative though. The campsite was a Joe Namath’s pass from the shores of Fish Lake which is the largest freshwater natural lake in Utah. Ospreys hovered overhead, while I Happy Houred below. I read 2.5 books in three days. I wasn’t overworked. 

Will I ever return to Fish Lake?

Nope! 



Afterwards, it was on to Great Basin National Park, just in time for a record setting heatwave! Despite Great Basin’s remote location (south of US Highway 50. AKA the Loneliest Road in America), it’s been discovered too.



(Another victim of the Fort Collins Syndrome:  https://jeffsambur.blogspot.com/2018/04/the-fort-collins-syndrome.html 

To cobble together an eight night stay in the Park, required moving camp and campgrounds five times. Ahh the price one pays to stay in our Nation’s Natural Cathedrals. No complaints though. There’s heaps of Happy Places there AND now I know the best campsites!

Like Arnold The Terminator, “I’ll be back!” 



True explorers don’t give up easily. I decided to check out another chunk of Fish Lake National Forest. The mountainous section east of Beaver, UT didn’t disappoint. I took in the views and potential hikes all while camping at an IPA can’s length below 11,000 feet. It was stunning scenery with plenty of Happy Places potential. 

Of course, I’ll be back.

I have a standard line about the aging process. Do you know what’s the best thing about aging is? 

That’s one less year of money you need to live on.

On the other hand, what’s the worst thing about aging.

That’s one less year of exploring for Happy Places. 



I believe Roald would agree to this concept even though my explorations are pretty wimpy compared to his.

Keep exploring! It’s more fun than sitting at home doing solo Happy Hours.

Cheers,
Jeff 

Last photo: Even intrepid explorers need refreshments every now and then.





















3 comments:

  1. Great pictures of wild turkeys, especially the one looking right at the camera! Thanks, Jeff! If you ever get to eastern Idaho, there are happy places along the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway. The Henry's Fork of the Snake River thunders off cliffs of an earlier caldera of the Yellowstone volcano - Targhee National Forest, southwest of Jackson, Wyoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the beer chilled and trek on!

    ReplyDelete