Friday, June 25, 2021

The Myth of the Bucket…

List.

In 2019, I was performing a welfare check on one of my favorite humans on the planet. Joe (AKA Trauma) was in his epilogue chapter of Stage Four liver cancer. Our conversation was anything but the usual light banter of jokes, sporting news and old memories. The overall tone was somber and forced.

In an awkward moment, Joe spoke out, “Sambini! You’d be proud of me. I finally retired!” 

“That’s great. Joe.”

“Yeah, some retirement Right?!” 

A few months later, Joe was gone. He was 62 years old. Joe’s Bucket List fit with room to spare in an urn containing his ashes.




Now when I’m involved in conversations with friends or acquaintances, our dreamy future plans often takes center stage. If I hear the cliche “It’s on my bucket list” a few times AND if they are older than 50.  I’ll interject “Well, Dontcha know,  you probably have more days behind you than in front of you. What are you waiting for?

This is shocking news to many, when it’s just simple math and statistics. (The life span of Americans has been declining too. Covid made it worse). 



Please don’t get me wrong. I’m all in favor of creating travel or experience goals. (But only if you mean doing them!) In the last decade, I’ve been knocking off many: the Galápagos Islands, Machu Picchu (twice), the Camino de Santiago (twice), hiking in the Alps, the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island, The Torrens del Paine Loop,  hiking the wild Portuguese Coast, hugging Redwoods,  getting into the Maze District (twice), finally seeing the Wave, going on an Hawaiian whale watch, and now getting into the high country of the nearby San Juan Mountains to name a few.




It was nearly a decade ago too when I became well aware of my own mortality. In July 2011,  I survived a bicycle vs. sedan collision in which three doctors assured me most cyclists would have perished. It was a life changing event. Life or death is sometimes a matter of landing just right. Apparently I  “nailed” the landing. 




This is why I abhor wasting days. As  Founding Father Thomas Jefferson said, “Never put off for tomorrow, what you can do today.” This includes Bucket Lists. 

Joe would concur.





PS. I’m currently available for Bucket List mentoring. My rates are reasonable. Happy Hour with or without dinner.

Cheers,
Jeff









6 comments:

  1. We're booked for Japan to celebrate Marvin's 80th birthday, Halloween 2022. We spent our 50th wedding anniversary on a river cruise on the Rhine and Mosul in Europe in 2015. I heartily agree - you never know when some nasty health thing - like rheumatoid arthritis or breast cancer - will throw a wrench in your travel plans. Go now, go often, take lot of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See you for happy hour July 16-19 at the least. And you have been learning the San Juans not just been there. 👀🤔🍺

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's one thing that's been on my list for a while...

    Seeing the northern lights. I imagine you have. I think Fairbanks rather than Iceland - too far and expensive - but you tell me. I'm sure you have seen them, yes?

    ReplyDelete