Sunday, October 1, 2017

"Que Sera Sera."

"Whatever will be will be" was the song a Hornillos Del Camino garage band played to a sparse audience of Pilgrims in a local bar last Friday night. It was  only 7:30pm. Apparently, on this very Senior Citizen version of Camino 2017, it was Lights-Out-Nighty-Night Time. 

As I've mentioned more than once, it's an older crowd here. A majority are recently retired folks who prepared themselves financially for the coming years. For these oldsters, the Camino is their step (many steps) into retirement. It's a Bucket List fulfillment. 

From what I'm noticing a goodly number might not have prepared themselves physically for the unrelenting monotony of walking Bigly distances on a daily basis. There's many who are overweight. It all adds up to a whooped, wounded mob. 

So how does this translate to me? 

Gone are the multi-cultural and multi-national Happy Hours. My H/D (Hugs/Day) average is a sluggish .153. The feel good intimacy of the past Camino's are now a sigh-full memory. Multitudes of walkers are now plugged into headphones and ear buds. Others are caressing their I-Phones as they text or talk their way through the Spanish countryside. This Camino features more Geritol drinkers than beer or wine quaffers. There's a higher percentage of folks attending Mass. 

In other words, it's a totally different Camino than my first two. 

So back to Doris Day's cheesy song and it's epiphany affect on me. While the band was strumming I thought to myself, "Self! You're in Spain which is a part of Europe. It's cool to be in Europe! You are eating good food and getting lots of exercise. You are drinking quality coffee in the morning and easy sipping lagers in the evening. You are sleeping in hotels fit for a Jewish Prince at less than Motel 6/Meth Lab prices. The weather has been mild and gentle. If I weren't walking here, I'd be walking somewhere else. I'll see this through to Finisterre and gaze at the surging Atlantic Ocean once again. It'll all work out and whatever will be will be. 


Besides, everyday I'm in Europe is one less day of living in the Dark Ages of America's current four year plight. I'm still reading the daily Tweets of President Lying Scumbag. Unfortunately, the US now seems foreign to me. 


From my Spanish viewpoint I'm hoping for another Saint Santiago intervention. The Miracle of Impeachment. 


Heck! If that were to happen, I'd even attend Mass. 

Cheers from Spain,
Jeff the Pilgrim

Last photo: another possible fix-er-upper I might possibly buy.


5 comments:

  1. Italy has some nice hikes. The Cinque Terra is 5 villages linked together but can be done in a day. Vernassa has a great bar, the Blue Marlin. If it's still there, tell Max hi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Italy has some nice hikes. The Cinque Terra is 5 villages linked together but can be done in a day. Vernassa has a great bar, the Blue Marlin. If it's still there, tell Max hi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Que Sera Sera used to be my baby song. A song that my grandmother would always sing to me when I was a baby :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings Jeff from glorious Michigan! I recently happened across your blog recently and have been greatly enjoying your posts. You are experiencing something that I have always dreamed of doing myself. Someday I will make it there too but in the mean time, I am greatly enjoying your journey. Thank you for sharing this adventure with all. I wish you a blessed Camino!

    ReplyDelete