Monday, September 18, 2017

So it begins...

my Third Camino de Santiago. 

On a cool, spongy damp, uninviting morning I set out from Pamplona. 


It's been four years and a month since I last ambled these same streets, dirt roads and narrow trails while chasing yellow directional arrows through the Spanish countryside.  Now my pack is heavier and I'm weaker! Alas, cold weather gear weighs more than cotton tank tops and shorts. 

It was an easy thirteen mile day for my intro back. The mileage will increase from this point on. On some days, I'll walk a marathon distance. Most days the ground I cover will be somewhere in between a half and full marathon. That's heaps of steps.

My first impressions? 

The fields are now fallow. The farmers crops are in. The only thing sprouting up are Pilgrims along the trails.

The crowd is older, possesses disposable income and desires their own hotel rooms con bano! (private bathroom). In other words, I'm not the only Prince of the Camino. (Although I'm probably the only Jewish Prince). In Puenta la Reina,  I was saddened to see a "Completo!" (Full) sign in front of an appealing looking hotel. I guess older people are figuring out the aging process and its relationship to money. The best thing about growing older is that's one less year of savings you will need. Like me, these senior citizens are spending the €'s instead of handing it over to an assisted care living facility. 

My accommodations might prove challenging. 

Oh well, it's great to be back. 

I'm still thinking there's a potential First Lady out here for me. A legitimate Presidential Candidate needs a significant other to be taken seriously by the Electorate. 

This old posts will explain the Why I'm back in Espana for another Pilgrimage. 


Last photo: A very slow Pilgrim. 

Buen Camino! Time for a shower and then a cerveza grande.

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment