Monday, June 6, 2016

If you can't beat 'em...

Join 'em.

Lately, I've seen too many dogs in what used to be unusual places. There's canines in brewpubs, restaurants, supermarkets, Home Depots and on our trails in the National Parks. (That's a real No-No). 

The canine owners seem to have the notion it's within their rights to subject the masses to their pets. Food establishments are caving in to these ideas of entitlements gone awry. Restaurant, brewpubs and grocery stores vie for the title of being "dog friendly." Is a business "dog unfriendly" because they still follow a line of common sense?

What ever happened to our public health laws? I don't want to see human hair in my food or IPA let alone a Golden Retrievers! There's other issues at stake when pooches are in a place of business: there's the barking, the inevitable dog fights and doggie doo accidents. Worst of all would be a potential petter being bitten. 

Pet Owners! We all have to give up a portion of our freedoms as America's population increases. No there's no need  to roll over and play dead. We all have to play nice and follow a few simple rules. The days of doing exactly as we please are long gone. 

For example: I would love to get out of Barley the Van on a summery morning while wearing my invisible pajamas. But I don't. I slip on a pair of shorts and a shirt to make myself somewhat presentable. Society has unwritten rules of decorum based upon others sensibilities. I understand that concept. I may not like it, but I accept it. 

From the photos you can see I'm a dog owner too.

Fido is the most obedient, mild-mannered and low maintenance pet in the World. Even when I take him into National Parks, he doesn't harass other hikers or the wildlife. That's a Good Dog! 

For the record, I don't hate hounds. It's a pet peeve of mine that dog owners are playing their individual rights and entitlement cards too often. Your dog doesn't need to be your drinking buddy too. 

I know this is a curmudgeonly post. Andy Rooney made his living on "60 Minutes" with rants like this. All I need to do is grow those great bushy eyebrows and get discovered by CBS. 

Woof from Dog Friendly Boulder, Colorado 
Jeff






No comments:

Post a Comment