Sunday, July 2, 2023

Now I Get It.

In my rookie month (August 2019) of residing in Durango, Colorado I was on the fast track of exploring my new neighborhood. I headed up nearby Kennebec Pass knowing Barley the Van (this was before my purchase of Sanctuary One) wouldn’t make it to the top. 

I juddered along as far as possible, parked then hoisted my backpack and started hiking uphill. 

Sitting above the Mighty La Plata River at 11,683 feet is Kennebec Pass (which offers up some of Colorado’s best views.) It’s also part of the 567 mile Colorado Trail linking Denver to Durango. After two hours of sweat labor I earned the Pass. Why not mosey up the Colorado Trail toward Denver? So that’s what I did. Of course it was all quite beautiful with a bouquet of wildflowers augmenting the rugged La Plata mountains. Once I crested Indian Ridge, I knew it was time to head down. Kennebec Pass is a dead end road. Knowing this I decided to hitch back down to Barley the Van sparing my arthritic knees a round of aspirin. 



I noticed a gentleman accompanied by two octogenarians women. They just finished their scenic picnic lunch. I asked politely if they had any spare room in their Toyota Tundra. The gentleman said “Sure! But I hope you’re not in a rush.” I wasn’t so I piled in.



As we bounced our way down, every once in awhile a duet from the back would exclaim, “Stop the truck! There’s wildflowers here.” So the nice gentleman pulled over. Out (very slowly) the women would emerge. They’d wander over to the wildflower display, take photos and discuss the particular arrangement. They were in the zone. When this particular spot had satiated them, we moved down. That was until the next, “Stop the truck!”



Now almost four years later, I get it. I’m not as spry as I once was. I’ve lost a few quick steps on the uphill. I’m well aware I might be close to the two minute warning of my active life. I’m noticing my surroundings more with the notion of “how many years can I keep doing this?” Recently I’ve been  looking at hikes and campouts in a new light. 



I’m collecting data now  as I wander around the incredible Four Corners region, Is there a clean, quiet US Forest Service, BLM or National Park campground nearby? If not how are the “boon docking” options (free dispersed campsites on Public Lands) OK? Is there sufficient sunlight for my solar panels to charge the batteries? (Very important consideration for keeping my IPAs cold ) Lastly, are there gentle amble hikes instead of brutal calf burners? 



In other words I’m creating a future game plan. All these thoughts are geared toward extending my outdoor career. I know by now whatever befalls me, my passions lie in being outside (except in winter and inclement weather!) After all how difficult will it be to cook a few meals, pack plenty of IPAs and books and go? 



And yes, I will “Stop the truck!” whenever I come across a particularly beautiful  display of wildflowers.



Cheers,
Please don’t  forget to stop your truck, just so nobody is tailgating you.

















10 comments:

  1. Stop The Truck!!! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have not much choice of our bodies aging, we can accept gracefully the slowing and shift gears for the last chapter! There’s still a couple decades left, god willing! Do it right! Do it your way and never give up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ˜‚πŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ’ͺπŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°yo creo que todavΓ­a te queda mucha cuerda Jeff ! Un abrazo enorme ! Y mil gracias por las preciosas flores ! πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking you have a great idea for your next bumper sticker!
    "Stop the Truck 🌻⛰️"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being there, doing that, Jeff! Beautiful drive yesterday up Fall River Road in RMNP. My trails now have to accommodate a wheeled walker, but RMNP has three of those here on the east side. Your flowers are beautiful! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice writing, Jeff. And I too struggle with not being as spry as I once was. I just have to keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm right there with you Jeffie! Thanks for the wise words! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes wise wisdom and learning about when to fold them in your chapter
    S of life. Provocative and poignant and keep camping hiking and smelling the flowers 🌺🌸🌼

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, I stop to see the flowers. Always did, but now it's a good excuse in my less mobile years!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very glad to hear you are finding your way forward with maybe less uphill ambition, but your enduring love of nature and the wilderness. The recent locations look lovely.

    ReplyDelete