Sunday, July 18, 2021

This Bud’s for…

Everyone.

“You know that old trees just grow stronger
And old rivers grow wilder every day
Old people just grow lonesome
Waiting for someone to say, "Hello in there, hello"

Lyrics by John Prine

I was finishing up a gig of box shlepping for the monthly Friends of the Library sidewalk book sale, when I noticed a very senior customer. He was long and lean as a giraffe’s neck. Covering his sparse gray hair was a dapper cap. His wristwatch was adorned with turquoise. I’d say he stood out from the crowd of Durango’s book lovers. 

I watched as he methodically went through all the tables plucking books and placing them in a nearby cache. He chose most of his reads from the History/Biography tables. Eventually, he took a seat at a picnic table to review his selections. Every now and then, he’d glance up for a few minutes of people watching. I immediately recognized this activity. It’s the “better to be around humans than to sit alone in an empty house” look. 

It’s a look I’m guilty of as well. 

I wandered over, “Good Morning! Sir! I’m Jeff. I volunteer for the Friends of the Library. I couldn’t help but notice how long you spent at the History/Biography tables. Would you be interested in a really great book about Theodore Roosevelt?” 

“Maybe. Tell me about it.”

I gave him a brief book report on James Bradley’s “Imperial Cruise.” 

“ I used to be a Ranger for the National Park Service, so I’d be interested in learning more about TR.. I’ll go and look for it. My name is Bud by the way.”






“No need Bud! This is a full customer service book sale. I’ll bring the book to you.” 




I returned with the paperback and took a nearby seat. “I love our National Parks! They are one of America’s greatest inventions. Where did you work for the NPS?”

That was my opening. Bud took over from here. “I spent most of my career years at Mesa Verde. I was in law enforcement. I enjoyed my time with the Park Service, although I had my share of “by the book” superintendents. They weren’t the easiest of bosses.”

Bud’s history sprung forth from there. He grew up in Salt Lake City. “We were one of the few non-Mormon families!” He got married and raised five children. (Four daughters and a son). There are lots of grandchildren. Bud pulled out tiny family photos from his worn leather wallet. Apparently his  progeny are scattered in the cardinal directions of the US. I read between his silence  that his spouse was long gone. 



It was getting near lunchtime when Bud asked, “will there be more book sales?”

“Yes!” I caught the attention of our Madame President of Friends of the Library. “Shelley, would you happen to have a handout on upcoming sales for this Gentleman?” 

“Of course!” She returned in a nanosecond and handed Bud a slip of paper. 

We both stood up. “Bud, I hope we see you again in July”

“Yes! I’ll put it on my calendar.” 

“Good!” We shook hands on it.

Bud did return in July.  I bought him a cup of coffee, “I drink my coffee with three teaspoons of sugar and lots of cream, like my Mother drank it.” Our conversation took off from where we left off in June. 

When we parted this time, I handed him my “retirement card” with my contact information on it.

“Bud. If you need me to run errands for you give a shout. I’m not that busy that I can’t help.”

“Thank you! Jeff. So far so good. I’m still getting around.” 

“In that case, I’ll see you in August.”

Once again we shook on it.




“So if you're walking down the street sometime
And spot some hollow ancient eyes
Please don't just pass 'em by and stare
As if you didn't care, say, "Hello in there, hello"

Thank you John Prine for these words of wisdom.

Respect your Elders. One day you might be old too.




3 comments:

  1. I've waited on Bud, over the years. Nice guy. I didn't know any of that about him, though. Thanks for engaging him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article. You can meet wonderful people at book sales!! And Bud is a special gentleman!
    Thanks for the plug!

    ReplyDelete