Friday, December 11, 2020

“We always have food...

on the table.” Was my father’s go-to response when one of his three boys was kvetching for a materialistic goo gag we weren’t going to get. If we kept whining, Sid would just say an emphatic “NO!” (I think that was his favorite word.) 

We were kids. It all seemed so harsh. Sheesh! What’s the big deal! Everyone had food on their tables.  But now that I’m older and I think wiser, I see where Sid and Clara were coming from. They both witnessed the Great Global Depression. They also saw how chaos can reign when a German Madman instigates extreme population control measures. Also known as: WW II and the Holocaust. I’m sure in those disruptive times consistently putting food on the table was a BIGLY deal.

When the Sambur Boys became established, there was always food on our table and everywhere else! Mom would admonish me to “Eat! Eat! Eat!” Which I Did! Did! Did! When I reached the age of Bar Mitzvah, I weighed as much as I do now. Except! I was eight inches shorter. Yes. I had a lot of excess schmaltz on me. 



But Sid and Clara were equal opportunity food distributors. Friends, family, strangers and the Prophet Elijah were always asked, “Are you hungry? Do you want something to eat?” No one left on an empty stomach. 

Guess what? Mosey to my house or camper and I’ll ask you the same questions. (With an offer of an IPA or coffee depending on the time of day.) 



Now in Durango, I’m still working at getting a feel for the town. The other day I was scrolling along on Facebook. Past the endless stream of photos of dogs, babies, scenic wonders and political rants when I noticed something. There on the “Be KIND Durango CO” page was a photo of a young woman and her two tow-headed tykes. Her message was simple. “My kids are hungry. Can anyone help, please?” 

So sad! I looked at the comments. Good Durango Samaritans rose to the occasion offering meals, money and advice. More than one person suggested she check out the Durango Food Bank. It looked to me that this situation was temporarily under control, but it got me thinking.
People hungry in La Plata County? Who knew? 



I checked the Durango Food Bank’s website. Their motto: “Working to Feed our Neighbors in Need. “ 


I continued wandering around the site when I discovered this: 

  • There are an estimated 6,420 food insecure individuals in La Plata County.…missing at least 1 meal per day.
  • 5% of La Plata County’s children are experiencing hunger
OY! I made a check out to the Food Bank and sent it. Surely I could do more. Which triggered this note to my neighbors. 




Now I’m waiting for the kindness and generosity to flow into that cardboard box.

I can’t help but think Sid and Clara are watching these events unfold from upstairs. Mom would poke Sid and say, “Look Jeffy is helping put food on peoples tables.” Sid might chime in,  “Clara, we did a good job. I think we raised a mensch.” 

This Holiday Season, be a mensch or mensch-ette. It’s the season for giving.

“Let all who are hungry come and eat.” 
Quote from a Passover Seder Haggadah 

Stay safe, sane and healthy,
Jeff





6 comments:

  1. A mensch indeed! Good on ya,Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had wonderful parents,Jeff! They gave you a great start in becoming an amazing mensch!
    I’m wishing you a lot of your friendly neighbors will fill your box and have a fulfilling Hanukkah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you my mensch friend! Share the love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are, indeed, a mensch! And a great writer, to boot!

    ReplyDelete