Saturday, November 21, 2020

Finding a Double IPA in a...

Cooler of Bud Lights. 

I’m never been accused of being a Polly-Anna. It’s not my nature. Maybe it was from my days of growing up in the Bronx and being subjected to Sanitation Workers and Teacher Strikes. (After awhile both began to stink.)  Or maybe it was the time a group of knife wielding Thugs chased me through the streets while shouting, “If we catch you Jew Bastard, we’ll stab you!” Or maybe it was the 28 years of Emergency Service work which is an incubator for “gallows humor.” 

For whatever reason, it’s usually not me who finds the silver lining in situations. 

Let’s be honest, we are living in times in which rose-colored glasses are fogging up. Between Covid cases going “Bang! Zoom! To the Moon” (Ralph Kramden) and an upcoming Constitutional Crisis, the future doesn’t seem  “so bright, I gotta wear shades.” (Timbuk 3). 



Why I’ll bet it’s a challenging time for the most hard core “it’ll all turn out OK” optimists. Let alone me! 

However as I hike Durango’s surrounding trails, take slow sips of an IPA or gaze at technicolor  sunrises, I realized I’ve come a long way. I have heaps to be Thankful for. 



It wasn’t all that long ago, that I was homeless by choice for 6.5 years in Barley the Van down by the River. Ordinary things that others take for granted are still BIGLY to me. Like occupying a real address instead of 66 square feet of a mobile “home.” 




“Jeffie, can you expound on this?” Sure, I’m not that BUSY! 

A) In August 2019, I rented a fully furnished townhome. The decor was a Southwest Bordello motif. On the walls were framed pictures from the Motel 6 school of art. It’s been a steady work in progress, but now the minimalistic decor subtly proclaims, “Jeff, lives here.” I’m happy with the results.

B) I went from no indoor plumbing to three bathrooms and a laundry, complete with hot and cold running water. This is miraculous to me.

C) I no longer cook outside on a propane Coleman stove.  Now I create meals on a four burner gas stove with a convection oven. I have yards of granite counter tops for food preparation. The days of eating Campbell soups for dinner are now part of my history. 




D) My evening entertainment used to be reading by a Luci solar powered light. Now I own a 55 inch Samsung TV with 125 channel surfing options. I’m in sensory overload.

E) Mostly I’m thankful for finally settling down in Durango, CO. An area where the surrounding natural beauty is only surpassed by the generosity and kindness of my neighbors and acquaintances. It’s taken me nearly 65 years, but I’ve finally found “Home,” 





It’ll be a solo Thanksgiving. I’ll be baking up an 18 pound Gobbler and a slew of broasted veggies. There will be plenty of extras which I’m willing to share in a socially distanced way. 




Happy Thanksgiving despite the chaos. If I can a find that double IPA through all this, anyone can.

Stay safe, sane and healthy. Keep those masks on tight. The next few months will be a wild ride.

Jeff

Last photo. I found that Double IPA 





6 comments:

  1. An American success story. Love the Norman Rockwell Covurky!!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most sad,beautiful,amusing Thanksgiving story❣️
    Though sometimes bittersweet.... but you made it to your well chosen home .
    Happy Thanksgiving !!!
    🍁🍁🍁🦃 🍁🍁

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are calling Durango home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aloha from Hawaii Jeff,
    I will always remember the day that we first met. My daughter Amy and I were walking to the Ft Collins OldcTown library to look for a children’s book. She was a little girl then. On the way, we happened to pass by a hand written note posted in your front yard that said “home for sale, inquire within. Well, we went up and knocked on the door. Amy and I ended up sitting at your small kitchen table in your kitchen at 317 Olive Street, and we came to a handshake-deal right away. Amy still remembers it. That little girl is now a medical surgical nurse in Denver Children’s Hospital (her dream job, by the way).
    But what we value most is not the house, but rather the friends we met through you.The “Amoeba Rock” fundraising cycling crowd. At the post- race picnic in your yard, we met some of the best friends which we still value today. We especially enjoy you, Jim, Diane, and Susie!
    All of you are our very best friends! Truly!
    Another day that I will remember is the day I was on a ferry boat up to the San Juan Islands. We are almost ready to dock and Lopez Island—and the phone rings. Well, it is you calling from the ICU. You were almost killed after having been struck by a vehicle while riding your bike in glacier national Park—and No, I did not have Mike’s phone number. You no longer remember this, but I always felt guilty that I didn’t have that phone number.

    So please keep on being untraditional—and may the horizon be ever wide before you!
    The Hayden ‘s
    Aloha,
    Scott, Melody, Sara, and Amy

    PS. And hey, come out to Fort Collins once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed we all have lot to be thankful for! I'm sure it crossed your mind what you would've done had you still been living in a van during this pandemic. We moved this summer out of busy Burlington a few miles north in a quiet residential area - I'm thankful for that transition.

    I'm also in love with DIPA's, but the VT variety.

    Be well Jeff.

    ReplyDelete