Sunday, November 10, 2019

“Don’t look back...

Something might be gaining on you.”

Satchel Paige

Yes. We are all growing older.

Except! This past year, I experienced a decade’s worth of aging.

The feeling of maturing came in two phases. The first was watching friends and family go out on injury leave  The majority were cancer related. Most notably were Mike (AKA the best brother in the world) and 40 year buddy Kevin D. Fortunately both seem to have responded well to treatment. 

Then there were a few who didn’t make the cut for the roster of the living. The list included one of my favorite people on the planet. (AKA Joe “Trauma” S.)  That one really hurt and still does. 




The second phase was personal. 

It was just two days after I turned 64, arthritis took up permanent residence  in my left knee. If you thought I walked funny before, you ought to see me hobble now. 



The hits kept on coming. Here’s a few examples:

The semi-automatic “Rat-Tat-Tat” heartbeats that alarm clocks me into full wake up mode. A few thought provoking minutes later, my heart rate resumes its usual 58 beats/minute.



The “almost pass out” head rushes I score while tipping my noggin back to take a sip of water.

The fact that I’m shrinking (I only had 64 inches of height to begin with) but my ears and nose appear to be lengthening. I won’t mention the hairs emanating from them.



My bum makes contact with Mother Earth more often than before. In other words, I fall a lot while hiking. 



The lame injury I sustained from the simple act of flipping a blanket over me. (tweaked back). Better yet. Spraining my wrist while turning a book’s page.  Strenuous stuff.



The numerous episodes of epistaxis without the trauma of being punched in the nose. 

My skin is thinning. A brush up against a twig will cause major hemorrhaging. Lately a hike is not complete without a blood letting



The higher than average times I lose my train of thought while speaking to others.  Occasionally my listeners will tell me, “That’s OK Jeff,  the cars were probably empty any how.” 

So maybe a few of you are thinking. Jeffy! What are you doing about all these Owwies and afflictions? 



My answer? Absolutely nothing. I don’t want to know the “Why?” I chalk it up to attempting to be an endurance athlete with the DNA of a merchant. I wasn’t bred for an active/outdoor life. 




However, I reckon as long as I possess the physical and mental Mojo to lace up my trail runners, slip on a pair of my signature baggy black shorts and get “Out There!” I can’t be too hurt or impaired. 



So that’s what I do. 

Who says ignorance isn’t bliss? 




I’m 65 and I still go over the speed limit occasionally.




Stay in motion. The other option sucks.

Cheers,
Drinking IPAs won’t hurt you either.
Jeff

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Jeffie..... Thought provoking (as usual) and hits very close to home. As Woody Allen said "You can live to be 100....if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be 100"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous pictures, Jeff! You are right - nobody should just spend all day in the recliner. My Mom, who lived almost to her 95th birthday, called that SDS (Sedentary Death Syndrome).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha love this! I’m just a couple years younger than you and I’ve noticed the same things! We just have to keep going… Love your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, the niggling health problems...that we're so thankful for! Keep moving has been my motto for a while...Glad to see you immensely enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Jeff...look at it this way ..you've done more so far then the average person will have done in 3 lifetimes so the old age flu may have come a little earlier for you.You are right in your treatment though.Keep away from Doctors and keep on walking��

    ReplyDelete