Saturday, October 12, 2019

“I thought it would be bigger.”

One might figure a shrinking senior citizen who occupies 5’4” of length and 138#s of space would never think of any place in such a manner. But I did, after finally getting a gander of the Wave. 

Before I continue, allow me to schmooze about the Wave. A hiker just can’t mosey into the Wave. No. A permit is required. That green light is one of the most elusive entry passes in the World. (Actually, I’m not sure of this, but it seemed that way to me. (There were over 160,000 applicants for 7,240 yearly slots in 2017. That’s a lowly 4.25% chance of winning). For over a decade, I’d arrive at 8:30 am for the 9 am lottery at the BLM office in Kanab, UT. After filling out the paperwork I waited for the drawing to begin. Eventually ten lucky individuals would become the Chosen Ones. Despite crossing my fingers and kissing my mezuzah, my number was never called in the Bingo lottery.



Being rejected is a crappy way to start a day. 

In the last few years, I decided to test my Karma on the internet BLM Wave application. Once again there are ten Chosen Ones for each day of the month. Unlike showing up in person to be rejected, the on-line app charges $5 regardless if you win or lose. I called it my monthly BLM donation. The winners/many losers discover their fate on the first day of the following month. On June 1st, 2019, I woke up to find I was a Winner for October 6th, 2019! 



I invited Brad (my brother from another Mother) to partake in this geological phenomenon. We decided to parlay the Wave with a backpack trip to Paria Canyon as well. So that’s what we did. 

The hike to the Wave is no walk in the park. The BLM doles out a rudimentary map complete with photos and descriptions. There is no mentions of distances in the frame of reference. The directions are along the line of “ go to the left of the big rock.” Well, it’s canyon country, there’s a BIGLY amount of huge stones out there. The trail isn’t marked, signed or as well trampled as I expected it to be. After all, twenty people/day leave telltale signs. Not so much getting to the Wave. 



We did a bonus mile or two, but eventually arrived in the general vicinity. I’ll admit it. I walked past the Wave without knowing it. The iconic view is in one direction. If I hadn’t  turned around to speak to Brad, I would have missed it. But, Holy Cow! There’s a reason why a photo of the Wave is a classic despite its skimpy size.



Here’s the Wave’s dimensions according to Wikipedia: 

“The Wave consists of intersecting U-shaped troughs that have been eroded into Navajo Sandstone of Jurassic age. The two major troughs which comprise this rock formation are 62 feet (19 m) wide by 118 feet (36 m) long and 7 feet (2 m) wide by 52 feet (16 m) long.”

Not exactly the magnitude of the Grand Canyon. Is it?



Yet, it’s a beguiling beautiful area that probably deserves its status of Worldly “must see” places. 

Within the last year, the BLM has been considering allowing up to 96 entrants/day into this unique landscape. Personally, I believe this would be a mistake. The formation consists of fragile sandstone. All those added footsteps could possibly damage the site. Besides it would be too many humans vying for the same photo op in a relatively small area. No one really wants to jostle or queue for that solitary selfie stick photo. Do we?




The Wave has taken on a near mythical status on people’s personal Bucket List. Limiting intrusions would prevent the Wave from becoming the next Zion’s Angels Landing or Yosemite’s Half Dome. The Wave is still a quiet, peaceful place. Let’s keep it that way. With respect to the Wave, size doesn’t matter. 

If you are planning to apply for the Wave. Good luck! If you want to be swell, take me along too! 
Cheers!
Jeff




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting as I will likely never get there! Surprisingly small!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Great pics! I was on my way there in 1992, after a marriage ceremony in Zion. We were also backpacking in, but a nasty storm made us reconsider our vulnerability. This was before permits. So I’ve never seen it firsthand, but have a very nice picture in my living room.

    ReplyDelete