Sunday, August 19, 2018

“You’re Living in Your Own Private Idaho”

Song by the B-52’s

I’m in the “Famous Potatoes” State. I wasn’t really planning to be here, but somehow the Wandering Wondering Jew took a detour north. The World works in mysterious ways.

Near Driggs, ID, I hiked to a view of the rear end (or front end, depending on your point of view)  of the Grand Tetons. That was cool, so out came the maps. Hmm! The Sawtooth’s National Recreation Area was sort of nearby. 

Of course, I Googled it, that’s what Wondering people do. (Curiosity didn’t kill the cat, lack of knowledge did!). 

From the US Forest Service: 

“The Sawtooth National Recreation Area (Sawtooth NRA) consists of 756,000 acres of beautiful mountanious scenery. The Sawtooth NRA includes the Sawtooth Wilderness, Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness, and the Hemingway-Boulders Wilderness areas. The Sawtooth NRA has over 700 miles of trails, 40 peaks rising over 10,000 feet and 300-plus high-elevation alpine lakes that add to the spectacular scenery and vistas.”




Yep! I was going in. I drove through Ketchum. A groovy sort of town infamous as the venue where Papa Hemingway committed severe lead poisoning with a shotgun in 1961. There’s a nearby smallish Wilderness named after the Noble Prize winning author. When I asked a local about hikes there, he said “where’s that?” Oh well, maybe he’s never read “A Farewell to Arms.” 

That night, I camped at the USFS Wood River campground. It was perfect. 

The next morning, I headed up the Amber Lake trail. For whatever reason, the path pulled up short of the promised lake. Another example of Lakus Interruptus. Still a pleasant introductory hike in the Sawtooths though.

Later, I stopped at the US Forest Service Visitor Center for recreation ideas. Those nice folks told me to do the ten mile Sawtooth Lake hike. The reason? It’s the most photographed spot in the area. See for yourself. Isn’t the lake photogenic even without my grin? 




On a small divide, I ran into backpackers Charley and company. I struck the mother lode of Sawtooth information. He strongly suggested a three night trip into the Sawtooth Wilderness, including seeing the popular Toxaway-Alice Lakes Loop. “Set up a basecamp at Lake Edna for two nights. From there you can day hike up to Cramer Divide AND THEN do a nice six mile loop before returning.” I made mental notes of all of this. 

Upon parting ways, he said, “Don’t tell the people in Colorado about the Sawtooths. It’s Boise’s local playground.” (He’s right. God placed this gem a mere two hour drive from the 756,000 humans residing in the Boise metro area.)

Sorry Charley! I told. If it’s any consolation most of my readers are Russian “Bots” trying to hack into my blog. They haven’t succeeded...yet. 




I packed that night.

As usual, I hit the trail early before my two pots of coffee caffeine high wore thin. I had a goal in mind to settle in a choice spot on the shores of Lake Edna. There were ten miles and one pass in between. I breezed by Lake Edith making good time. Those swell trail builders of Idaho lovingly ,made gentle switchbacks in a steep land. My knees and lungs thanked them.

 Now a note about Sawtooth names: They are old fashioned and comforting, such as, Alice, Vernon, Virginia and the already mentioned Edith and Edna. The names harkened back to simpler times when flapjacks with gobs of butter and syrup were the preferred breakfast. A time when “Father Knows Best.” 




For awhile, I had Lake Edna to myself. By 7ish, I had company on my little peninsula. A youngish gang of six set up nearby. Happily, they were good neighbors. (Demographically speaking, Idaho is a youthful state. The third youngest as of 2012). On this hike, I was the Old Man in the Mountains. The kids were well mannered though, none of them called me “Gramps.” 

I got out the next morning before the heat was on. It’s been a scorcher summer in the American West. Each of my steps created a mini dust bowl. Making a campfire complete with s’mores was out of the question. It was drier than my three year old Clif Bars. That’s lack of moisture dry. Despite the toasty conditions, I had a fine half marathon hike. Here’s a few pix.



On my third day, I packed up early for my climb to Sand Mountain Pass. From that perch only beautiful views awaited me. Afterwards, down I went to Toxaway Lake. Then  I had to negotiate Snowyside Pass. In my humble opinion, those miles were the most inspiring and perspiring of them all.




At Twin Lakes, I was alone. I had first dibs on a room with a view. Then the hordes came around. Fortunately, everyone was respectful of spacing and quiet time. It was another joyful day.




I headed our early with thoughts of a three egg omelette awaiting me in Barley the Van. I practically trail ran those last seven miles. 

The Sawtooths reminded me of a smaller version of the Sierra Nevada’s of California. The granite peaks, scree and boulders yield the same “Range of Light” qualities. For me, it was love at first light.

Now back to the B-52’s. Their New Wave song admonished the listener to, “Get out of that State! Get out of that State you’re in!”

I will, I will. All in good time, my pretty.




From bucolic, McCall, Idaho.
Goodnight.
Jeff












5 comments:

  1. Nice to read about your Sawtooth travels and don’t worry Idahoans I will visit your Rivers which everyone knows about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The secrete is definitely out. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete