Monday, July 9, 2018

Maybe I believe in God...


after all.

Seven years ago in northern Montana a vehicle struck me and my bicycle from behind. The sedan was traveling about 50 mph. I broke eleven vertebrae and one sternum while I tumbled and skidded for thirty-five feet. I woke up in a ditch. Any exposed flesh looked like I had a run-in with a belt sander. I was slathered in my own blood. The impact literally knocked me out of my shoes. I was broken,  bruised and scraped but not dead. 

The above incident changed me. Very few days go by where I don’t ponder, “How and why did I survive?” 

 I’ve come up with a few answers:

* I landed just right.

* I was wearing a helmet.

* I have strong bones.

* It wasn’t my turn to die.

* A Higher Power thinks I’m OK.





* My Mission in Life wasn’t complete.

I’m not a religious Jew. When my Mom passed in 1972, my connection to synagogues and organized prayer went six-feet under along with her. That being said, I consider myself a Jew with a 100% Kosher Soul. I’m proud to be a Member of the Tribe.

I just don’t go looking for God in a Temple on High Holy Days or Shabbat. I look elsewhere. I go to places that require effort. I sacrifice a lot of sweat. There are times I physically suffer. I think of this as a form of “paying penance” for past transgressions. It’s tough love religion. 




Ahh! But when I arrive on a mountaintop, a canyon overlook or see creatures great or small, I know I’ve been blessed for my perseverance. If I’m lucky and no other humans are around, I’ll exclaim out loud, “Thank You! This is so beautiful.” It’s never a good idea to take anyone for granted, let alone God.







Was my Second Chance bestowed on me due to unfinished business?

* Maybe to be a walking example on how bicycle helmets save lives.

* Maybe to entertain, educate and enlighten people through my Blog.

* Maybe to really become the 46th President of the US.


God works in mysterious ways. 

Lastly I think everyone should pursue their own personal Almighty, whether you find it in a Mosque, Church, Synagogue or the Great Outdoors.

Have fun, just be careful out there. Second Chances are not a given.
Jeff




7 comments:

  1. Glad you're here to bless those of us who are older, fatter, stiffer, lamer with your gorgeous pictures from the remote wild places. That lizard is so so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling it more these days myself. That's the physical pain.
    Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're still around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very insightful, Jeff. I believe we have a near death experience, it enlightens us and we examine what is truly important in our lives. It makes us stronger in our convictions. Continue to be true to your self!

    ReplyDelete