Saturday, June 16, 2018

Szyja Sambor was my father’s

 name when he debarked from the SS Pilsudski in NYC on November 6th, 1937. The ship’s manifest classified him a “Polish Hebrew.” My father was then 18 years young.

His traveled solo with a one way ticket. He left his family and friends behind in Byzaziny, Poland to deal with the newest wave of racism and bigotry. Upon arriving in the Big Apple, Young Szyja noticed there wasn’t a Welcome Wagon for recent immigrants. He quickly discovered the streets of America weren’t paved in gold either. He saw challenges and hard work ahead. Fortunately, he was a fast learner. 

With his talent of placing needle and thread to cloth, he scored a job. Eventually he paid off his debts, became proficient in speaking, reading and writing English and got his own pad. He was wise enough to date a recent Jewish  immigrant with a beguiling smile named Clara Zinn. 




By September 1939, WW II had officially begun. On December 8, 1941, America entered the melee. In December 1942, Dad was drafted by the Army. Uncle Sam declared him to be “White, not yet a citizen.”

Read all about my father’s Military Days: 


When my Dad was attending Bootcamp in Tennessee, he petitioned to become a naturalized US citizen. On July 30th, 1943 Szyja Sambor became the more Americanized Sidney Sambur. Apparently, Sidney thought the name change would help ease his transition in this strange New World. 




I told you he was a fast learner. 

After the War, Sid and Clara married. In a six year span three healthy (but short) boys emerged. Expectations were subtlety placed upon us. We were all going to attend college. Period. 

While growing up, we were taught to admire and respect learned people. “Jeffy! That man’s a Doctor!” Instant awe. My parents saw education as a tool to advancement in our adopted country. All this from folks whose education was interrupted by World events. Dad’s formal schooling was done by the 9th grade. Mom finished 11th grade.

We boys did better. My oldest brother earned a Masters in Education. Mike has two degrees. I was the slacker with a Bachelor of Sciences. However, my education didn’t end in 1976 with that diploma. 

I’m an avid reader of non-fiction. I yearn to learn. Since Black Tuesday, (AKA Election Day, 2016), I began digesting US History books. I’ve done this for two reasons.





One)  I knew history would provide an answer on how a mean-spirited, uncaring,  unethical, incurious, racist low-life could attain the highest office in our Land. Yes. The answers are in our Nation’s history. 

Two) I’m still reading. I want to better prepare myself for what lies ahead.  I want to be an educated World Leader. On November 16, 2016, I tossed my Death Valley National Park baseball cap into the Presidential ring.


 I know. It wasn’t a major media event. Maybe I should have sent out a Tweet. 

So...what’s my point in going ad nauseam about Education (including Vocational Technology)? 

Education will be one pillar of my “Triple E” platform for my Presidential run. If you want to find out what the other two are....Drumroll. You will need to read the July 4th Blog. This Administration will be the start of a new Independence Day.

Sid and Clara Sambur would have been pleased to know their little baby boy became the 46th President of the US. It’s not as impressive as becoming a Medical Doctor, but it’s a close second.

Thanks Dad for the gift of education.

Special Thanks to Big Al (AKA Badger Boy) for his in depth research on Sambur family history. 

Cheers to all Dads, past, present and future.

PS. For those who might enjoy a BIGLY list of my favorite non-fiction reads, I can forward you a copy. Just ask!








1 comment:

  1. Little blue truck is probably on this list of "good reads". Nice post Jeff!

    ReplyDelete