Saturday, February 11, 2017

Scenes from the Kepler Track...

I had the permits to hike the Kepler Great Walk outside of Te Anau, but I fell prey to the travelers dilemma-poor scheduling on my part. I ended up canceling the trip. Woe is me! That meant three less nights in overcrowded huts! I rallied quickly from this HUGE disappointment. 


So...I decided with my few spare days, to go and see what I missed out on. 

On day one, I went in from one side and went left. On day two, I started from the other side and went right. I did not meet myself in the middle. 



Day one was sort of uneventful with the exception of helping an injured hiker in distress. On my return, I noticed a woman limping as if she had undergone radical knee surgery ten minutes ago. 
"Are you OK?"
"I think I tore ligaments in my knee. It really hurts too." She was teary eyed when she said that.
"Look! I hate seeing people hurt. (That's the truth too!) I'll carry your backpack to the next hut and tell the ranger what's going on." 


She took a sip of water and some snacks and away I went with my new backpack. 
Three miles later, I dropped it off at the hut. I then informed the ranger of the situation.
I hope she's still not out there! 


On Day Two, I decided to get above tree line for the Kepler views. The weather was "fine." (That's Kiwi-speak for anytime there's no White Death, rain or winds that will blow your wife or child away. Kiwis are all about understatement.) 


Well, it was sort of fine, and here's a few photos.


My Milford Great Walk begins manana. The forecast is not fine...

Cheers!
Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment