Sunday, April 26, 2020

“Sometimes people mistake the way...

 I talk for what I am thinking.”

“You cannot run faster than a bullet.”

“The problem with me is that I am fifty to one hundred years ahead of my time. My speed is very fast. Some ministers have had to drop out of my government because they could not keep up.” 

“There is freedom of speech, but I cannot guarantee freedom after speech.”

“I have to keep law and order and it means I have to kill my enemies before they kill me.”

“I am the hero of Africa.” 

Quotes from Idi Amin Dada

Don’t recall Idi? Here’s a brief WW J history lesson.

In 1971 Chief of Staff Idi Amin staged a military coup of Uganda’s civilian government. At first he promised free elections. That didn’t happen. One week after the coup, he declared himself President and Field Marshall of Uganda. Soon thereafter segments  of the Ugandan Constitution were suspended. Later on Military Tribunals replaced the court system. Then the killings began. It’s been estimated 300,000 Ugandans were murdered in a country of 12 million.(Source NY Times). Lucky Ugandans were just exiled. All of this death and destruction sowed havoc on Uganda’s economy. This reign of chaos and terror lasted eight years. 



Amin’s oversized persona was a magnet for the media. The Dictator made good copy with his impulsive, erratic and insane behavior. 

“He is killer and clown, big-hearted buffoon and strutting martinet.”
    • Uganda. Amin:The Wild Man of Africa, March 07, 1977, Time magazine.

'Capricious, impulsive, violent and aggressive he certainly is, but to dismiss him as just plain crazy is to underestimate his shrewdness, his ruthless cunning and his capacity to consolidate power with calculated terror,'' wrote Christopher Munnion, a reporter for The Daily Telegraph. 

Historians postulate Amin’s detachment from reality was a result of never being treated for syphillus. He was a Madman for a reason. As the quip went, “Look what VD did to Idi.”


Fast forward to the present President of the US. For many years the Commander in Tweet has entertained a worldwide audience with a daily dollop of “Deep State” conspiracy theories and demagogue rants. All spoken or typed out with little regard for truth or facts. For the sake of brevity, I’ll limit his drivel to the current Covid -19 crisis.

 Notes:  The Coronavirus threat was included in the President’s Daily Briefing in early January 2020. Source: ABC News

In 2018, the Trump Administration fired the US Pandemic Response Team (Source https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-fire-pandemic-team/ ) 

AND other cost saving measures...

“The Trump administration cut staff by more than two-thirds at a key U.S. public health agency operating inside China, as part of a larger rollback of U.S.-funded health and science experts on the ground there leading up to the coronavirus outbreak, Reuters has learned. Most of the reductions were made at the Beijing office of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and occurred over the past two years, according to public CDC documents viewed by Reuters and interviews with four people familiar with the drawdown. … The CDC’s China headcount has shrunk to around 14 staffers, down from approximately 47 people since President Donald Trump took office in January 2017, the documents show. The four people, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the losses included epidemiologists and other health professionals…” 

But Hey! We have Space Farce ($40 billion) and the Great Wall of Racism (estimated $15 billion source High Country News). 

January 22. “It’s just one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

Feb. 10: “Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April. We’re in great shape though. 

Feb. 27: “It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.”



Feb. 28: “Now the Democrats are politicizing the Coronavirus...”One of my people came up to me and said. Mr. President, they tried to beat you on Russia, Russia, Russia. That didn’t work out too well...and  now this is their new hoax.”

March 9: “So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!” — Trump in a tweet.

March 16: Trump makes a rare rational speech by announcing nationwide social distancing recommendations 
.
March 24: “Easter Is a very special day for me. And I see it sort of in a timeline that I’m thinking about. And wouldn’t it be great to have all the churches full?”

April 18: “It’s going to be up to the Governors. I think we are going to see quite a few states starting to open. And I call it a beautiful puzzle. You have 50 pieces, all very different, and when it’s all done, it’s a mosaic. It’s going to be, I think a very beautiful picture.”

April 19: “Liberate Michigan! Liberate Minnesota! Liberate Virginia!” Trump in a Tweet in apparent support of protestors who are opposed to state closures and restrictions. 

I’ve saved the best for last!



April 23: “I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute," the president said. "And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning? As you see, it gets in the lungs, it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that."

As of this post, here’s our present Covid-19 situation.
Confirmed
983K
Recovered
109K
Deaths
55,156

My Fellow Americans, I think it’s time for us to remove the Latex gloves. Let’s admit the President is wearing no clothes. Please let’s stop justifying his remarks by saying, “Oh that’s Trump being Trump.” NO! The President is a Whacko! A Nut job! He’s Looney Tunes! Trump’s train is running with empty cars! He’s mushuga! (That’s Yiddish for crazy.)

What I’m about to say is not meant for the titanium Trump supporters. You will cling to him no matter what he says, Tweets or does. Apparently, he’s giving you what you crave. (How’s that tax break for the wealthy going for you?)

Nor am I speaking to the Democrats (like me) who would prefer Lady Gaga in the White House over this Piece of Work.

No. This goes out to the Republicans who sat on the sidelines in 2016.

And the 2016 Moderates who were interested in “Draining the Swamp” but now realize that ecological niche has been replaced by a poop containing cesspool. 

And the Bernie Supporters who didn’t like the way the game got played so they took the ball and went home. 



Folks! Unless you want four more years of lunacy... (like Idi Amin)

Vote Blue no matter who.

Last photo: Decisions! Decisions!














5 comments:

  1. That was an AWESOME column! Brilliant to tie in Trump's idol, Idi Amin. so similar. I saw a great quote... someone asked me what it would take for me to vote for Biden, and I said "a pulse"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have included Trump saying "I take no responsibility".

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a brilliant recap of the Orange Idiot's failings during the coronavirus pandemic. I will vote blue in November. I'd have preferred a number of his rivals over Biden, but Biden's still miles better than the Chump. Hell, a box of rocks in the oval office would do a better job the 300-lb baby-fingered, racist, misogynist liar-in-chief.

    My decision is between: IPA or Ale? I've been going to the local brewery regularly during this pandemic, doing my part to help them stay afloat (maybe even going there moreso than in "normal times"). It's sad when I think about their taproom now vs. before COVID. On a warm-weather weekend, their place would be jumpin' with live music and lines out the door. Now it's just growler refills. Still excellent beer, but I hope they can survive the drop-off in revenue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thx! Feel free to pass the post along. We need to get the word out, this is not the Election to sit on the sidelines or go third party candidate.
    I’m hoping Durango’s brewpubs make it to the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to unfriend Our old friend MD because of her allegiance to him and her believing the stupid conspiracy theories. I hope he and his family get their just desserts.

    ReplyDelete