Monday, April 13, 2020

I’m not a Sociologist nor...

do I play one on Facebook or TV. 

BUT! I am an avid people watcher. As Yogi Berra once said, “You can observe a lot by just watching."

Here’s what I’ve noticed.

Many of you have been withdrawing from other humanoids for decades. In some ways, the current social distancing has been prevalent (minus the six-foot physical spacing) for quite some time. 

Examples provided: 



The multitudes of people we see staring (in an opioid state) at a palm-sized inanimate object while the World goes by around them.

The rocket-like take off of texting over talking.   Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association states that 6 billion SMS messages are sent each day in the US, over 180 billion are sent each month, and 2.27 trillion are sent each year. According to Portio Research, the world will send 8.3 trillion SMS messages this year alone – 23 billion per day or almost 16 million per minute.Mar 6, 2017

All those Dudes and Dudettes wearing earbuds or headphones on streets, public transportation and wilderness trails. In 2013, 286 million headphones were sold worldwide. By 2019, the figure was 400 million. Source: Statista.com 

The explosion of “Emotional Support Animals” in the US. 
“In 2011, the National Service Animal Registry, a for-profit company that sells official-looking vests and certificates for owners, had 2,400 service and emotional support animals in its registry. Now the number is nearly 200,000.” 
Source New York Times.



On a similar note, there are many single folks who have unfurled the White Flag on finding a significant other. The reason? They are already in a deep relationship...with their dog!

The Facebook phenomenon where you can be whoever you want to be in front of 1000’s of “Friends”, many whom you have never met or will ever meet. 

Locally, I’ve noticed phantom neighbors who drive into their attached garages never to be seen again.

On a National scale, a demagogue won the Electoral vote on a campaign based upon fear, divisiveness and exclusion. 

No wonder people are turning inward. 

Now the Covid-19 virus has instilled a new kind of fear in all of us. 



We look at strangers as if they are malaria carrying mosquitoes. 

An innocent trip to the grocery store feels like we’ve walked into an armed robbery, masked intruders and all. Then you realize, you’re wearing a mask too. 

A little gimpy legged senior citizen like myself can now intimidate younger, stronger and larger men from approaching me. Some will avert their eyes as I pass by. I’m not a leper! 

I’ll admit it, I’m feeling isolated and lonely. A lot of folks are. Even a sociable hermit like myself enjoys the company of people every now and then. 

Many of my virtual acquaintances believe something positive will emerge from the current calamity. I think they imagine a worldwide group hug. I doubt it. A form of social distancing has been going on for sometime. Covid-19 has ramped it up to the next level.



Now being engrossed in an I Phone, wearing headphones or carrying an emotional support duck doesn’t seem so bad.

Is it summer yet?
Jeff

 






4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big virtual hugs, Jeff! Please keep staying safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried virtual happy hours on videoconferencing apps like FaceTime or What’s App or Zoom?

    Every Friday we have a virtual dinner with my mom and our two boys (and their families). We hang out together for usually about two hours—eating, catching up, and we set assignments each week, usually art projects.

    We also have happy hours and puzzle competitions virtually with my sisters.

    Videoconferencing helps when you can’t be with people in person—virus or no virus.

    There are many free online courses on coursera.com. I’m taking the free course called Happiness.

    If you haven’t tried it yet, Laurence and I could show you how to have a virtual happy hour. We could have an IPA together šŸ˜œ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not into facebook; I'm anti-social in that respect. I mostly think it's a good thing for those that like it. I see Maureen keeping in touch with old friends. Stay healthy Jeff. -Mike Johnston (not my son Jimmy)

    ReplyDelete