Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Durango, Colorado: Small city of

Big Mitzvahs.

Jeffy! Please explain what a mitzvah is? Can I eat or drink it? Is it a cure for Covid-19? Is it an animal, mineral or vegetable? 

Nope. None of the above. A mitzvah is “an individual act of human kindness.” (From Wikipedia).

It’s a good deed. 



Since moving here I’ve been on the receiving end of more than a few “random acts of kindness.” Here’s some examples: 

A) While mountain biking in August I broke my rib and lost my I Phone at the same time. A Good Samaritan returned the phone to me via a drop off point. When I offered a reward for his honesty, his answer?  “That isn’t necessary. Just pay it forward.” 

Awesome! (BTW. My rib remained broken)

B) in November, I ventured into my favorite brewpub when I turned 65. I mentioned to the always friendly bartender, it was my birthday. Upon hearing that, she poured me a Double IPA (gratis), lied and told me I looked a lot younger than 65 and best of all came around the bar to give me a hug! (Body contact was allowable in 2019.) 



C) When I was running dangerously low on IPAs. I drove to the local liquor store to purchase more. After choosing two cases of the “Nectar of the Gods” I went to pay. I told the easy going cashier,  “I’ll drop this case off in my car and come back for the second one.” I shlepped the case outside, placed it lovingly in my vehicle and turned to get the other 24. Wouldn’t you know it, that nice young man had followed me out with the second case. 

I was shocked. “Thanks! This would never happen on the Front Range of Colorado.” 

His reply? “No problem. This is how we do things here. Welcome to Durango.”

All fine gestures of goodness. Right?

However the above are all minor mitzvahs compared to the kindheartedness I recently witnessed in the Parkside Terrace neighborhood.

Let’s face it, Covid-19 has disrupted all our lives. Innocent outings and events we once took for granted have gone away after the first Covid cough and fever. We miss the normalcy of eating in a restaurant, going to a movie and for some, the tradition of a college graduation.  

At Parkside Terrace, one of our neighbors is Emma, a shy, soft spoken, soccer playing 2020 Fort Lewis College graduate. For her, there would be no official college finish line. 

No graduation ceremony for Emma? No way! Fellow neighbors Molly and Tanya (both FLC Alumni) flew into action. Molly created this invitation for all. But that was just the beginning. 



On Graduation Day, Emma was coaxed out of her home by Tanya. On went Emma’s cap and gown. Out came a few tears. To the strains of piped in “Pomp and Circumstance” Emma did a skateboard lap around the townhomes. She was closely followed by an admiring crowd.




After her Graduation March the convocation began. Emma received a prerecorded inspiring personalized commencement speech. Then Molly gave an Atta-Girl talk to Emma. It was Emma’s special day so she got the last word in. Emma told the audience about her hopes and dreams. She concluded with a sincere “Thank You!”






Then the party began! Custom made FLC hats with tassels were tossed into the air. Fireworks were lit. Molly’s husband, Ethan brought out multiple trays of appetizers. Bottles of booze and hand sanitizers mysteriously appeared on the tables. Beer cans were popped open.Upbeat music and laughter were heard. 



It was wonderful.

All because two Saints displayed empathy towards a woman half their age. 



That’s a mitzvah!

Last photo: There’s an abundance of Do-Gooders in Durango. This was my attempt to hold their wheels.

When presented with a choice. Choose being kind. 








6 comments:

  1. Great, heart warming story. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. My take away, be grateful, take nothing for granted especially your freedom, pay it forward and focus on the positives during a dark time. In the big picture this (Covid) will not even register a blip on the radar. And. You never mentioned breaking your rib!!! Take care and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma is my sister and everyone in the family was SOOOO happy to hear that people were banding together to give her some sort of celebration, no matter the size, especially since no one could travel there for this milestone. The gesture was amazing and I know she really appreciated it. I've told Emma before that it seems like the people of Durango really have the "community" thing down and this is a perfect example of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. (Oops, my name is Anne, I don't mean to be vague or creepy posting, haha, Emma forwarded us the link for your blog :) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful to read! We like our rural living, but I do miss having others around, now that we can't meet at the bakery for a cuppa and a chat, invite friends over to sit on our deck, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete