Sunday, April 5, 2020

There are more Corvids than...

People now in Downtown Durango.

For the non-birders among you crows, ravens, jays and magpies are in the Corvid family. They are the  flying sanitation workers who glean what we leave behind. In these virulent times of social distancing, there’s less human detritus for them to feed upon. Covid-19 is even affecting the Corvids. 




Prior to the pandemic, Downtown Durango was a lively place. On a typical sunny Sunday morning, there’s couples strolling  the sidewalks while shlepping steaming cups of Java. There’s families  congregating outside of busy breakfast cafes before going to church. Cyclists baring “game faces” can be seen heading out of town to tackle the nearby hills.

Now even the panhandlers are gone. It’s a sad scene. Like everyone else, I hate this current situation. 



I’ve always had a lot of time to think and wonder. Now with a worldwide lack of distractions. (No Happy Hour, shopping, movies, March Madness, baseball ETC) I have even more time to ponder. I’m thinking I made a few very wise personal decisions and choices. 

Well? What are they, Jeffy?

A) I chose to give up the Homeless by Choice lifestyle right in the last sip of time. Being a single guy living in a white Van down by the river now? No thank you!




B) I chose going small instead of BIGLY by settling in Durango, CO (population 19,000) instead of returning  to Fort Collins, CO (population 168,000). I’m a mere five minutes from a brewpub and a mere three blocks from a trailhead. The best  of both worlds. 



C) I chose the right neighborhood. I moved into Parkside Terrace, a 74 unit townhouse subdivision squeezed into a few acres. My neighbors are at least two decades younger than I am. They are all in relationships with significant others. Their attitude toward me went from, “who is this guy?” to acceptance and eventually inclusion. Now they are kind enough to do welfare checks on me to see if I’m OK. One neighbor promised to take me fishing when this calamity passes. I think they might like me! 




D) I chose to join organizations who share my passions. I’m a dues paying member of the Friends of the Library, the San Juan Mountain Association, the Mountain Studies Institute and the Great Old Broads of the Wilderness. I’m a willing volunteer for all. 




So...back to Covid-19. Today I received this email from the Great Old Broads of the Wilderness. 




I’m known more as a whiner instead of a howler. But under these extenuating circumstances I’ll make exceptions. It can’t hurt. Right?

Hope to hear you howl! Who knows? Maybe the Corvids will be howling too.
Jeff

3 comments:

  1. OMG! Why is my very dear girlfriend in the picture above??? You must be one of her neighbors! I am sure she is one of the people who accept you as an equal if not older person!!!! It is a small town....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Stay safe mate! These are worrying times. We will all come through this. Australia is doing well at the moment. My heart goes out to your fellow Americans. You guys have copped it bad. Stay strong. Regards from down under.

    ReplyDelete