Friday, May 13, 2022

I Never Sired Any…

I Never Sired Any…

Children. At least none that I know of. 

Yet, I take a “Long Game” approach to Conservation and Preservation of Wild Places. I dream of a future where vast acreage of  Public Lands will still be available to Keith and Justin Sambur (the best nephews in the World). 




Decades ago when those impressionable young adults visited me in Colorado I tried to instill in them the idea of the intrinsic value of open spaces.. The concept that some places are best used by being unused. Simply put, “Take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints.” (Unless cryptobiotic solis are underfoot. Don’t step on that.) The outdoorsy lessons must have taken hold. They both left the East Coast and moved to Colorado.

(My footprint and a Bobcat) 




With these thoughts and many others in mind, it was time to explore Utah’s Bears Ears National Monument. A Monument we almost lost when it was barely out of its womb.

Here’s some background info from the Grand Canyon Trust:



When President Obama designated Bears Ears National Monument in December 2016, protection for the region was long overdue. Monument protection for southeast Utah had been considered since the 1930s, but it took the coordination, persistence, and sovereign status of five Native nations (the Hopi Tribe, Navajo Nation, Ute Mountain Ute Tribe, Zuni Tribe, and Ute Indian Tribe) for the Bears Ears Inter-Tribal Coalition to ultimately gain protections for 1.35 million acres of their ancestral homelands. Less than a year later, President Trump ignored overwhelming public support for Bears Ears and slashed the monument by 85 percent.



As if I needed another reason to loathe Trump the Shallow Racist Sociopathic Liar. He succeeded in pissing me off again by messing with my second retirement homes. 

But it was far worse for the Inter-Tribal Coalition. Once again, Native Americans (as in original Americans) got screwed by some far away White Guy making bad decisions concerning their ancestral lands. I’m sure it was a flashback moment to all those broken treaties, going back to the Cherokee Nation’s “Trail of Tears” Days. It figures Andrew Jackson was the one  President 45 admired. 



Of course, the evisceration of Bears Ears and Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monuments got hamstrung (that’s kosher ham though) in court. Nothing miserable happened on these sacred lands. Thank you Conservation loving lawyers.



With a change of regimes (according to democracy and the Electoral College) Joe Biden reinstated Bears Ears plus 1200 extra acres to boot. Take that Trump! 



However, I’m not feeling warm and fuzzy about Bears Ears long game prospects. We’re living in a time where lies supplants truth. When too many Americans desire a Govment so small it could be placed into a bathtub and drowned. A concept based upon the Fake News that humans will do the right thing. Bullshit! If so the Cuyahoga River wouldn’t have caught on fire numerous times. There wouldn’t be a need of a Clean Air Act (1970 Nixon), the EPA (1970 Nixon) or Superfund sites mitigating the environmental disasters left behind by companies more concerned about the bottom line than being mindful stewards of our planet.



In other words, there’s a need for Government regulation, Preservation and Conservation. Some higher organization has to be the Enforcer on short sighted individuals and companies.

Enough venting! 


Back to Bears Ears NM and those peaceful playground days. To sum it up, it was wonderful. It’s a vast, wild place featuring plunging canyons, Mesa tops, 100 mile views, solitude, plenty of mind meandering and heaps of pre-White Folks archeological sites. It’s a stand alone massive chunk of Federal Property best left for the gentle admiration of future generations. 



I’ll finish this lengthily post on a lighter note. 

“The Tale of the Q’Anon Ancient Ones Conspiracy Theorist.”



Me and Sanctuary Too were camping with a view. It was almost time for my two minute solar shower pre-Happy Hour ritual. It was then, a camo painted ATV roared into my up-to-that point quiet camp. A true breach of dispersed camping etiquette. The driver was a massive, tattooed and muscular young man who made the ATV he was straddling appear to be a Tonka Toy. Yes, I was nervous. I waved hesitantly in a friendly manner. He stepped off the vehicle, removed his helmet and goggles and displayed a disarming smile. Whew! Jaden and I made small talk about the weather, hikes we’ve taken and general stuff. Then he stared a mile down at me and asked.



“Ever wonder why the Ancient Ones placed their dwellings in high alcoves that were somewhat inaccessible?”

“The archeologists think there might have been new aggressive tribes moving into the area. They built up high for defensive reasons.”



“Nope! They were afraid of Giants.” 

“Giants? Like you?”

“No! I’m talking 24 foot tall humans. They ate the Ancient Ones who were small like you.”
(I wish he hadn’t said that.)

At this point, what I really wanted to do was quote Sid Sambur. “You’re talking CRAZY!” BUT Jaden was BIGLY and now sort of creepy. 



“OK! Well, we’re in Utah! Let me give you a beer for the road. I was about to take a Solar Shower, so unless you want to see an old man naked, it might be time to go.” 

“Yeah, my camp is miles away. Thanks for the beer and info. Good night!”

I was quite happy to hear he was miles away from me. I had met Bears Ears one and only
Q’Anon Ancient One Conspiracy Theorist. One’s enough.



Last photo: I hope centuries from now the corn cob and husk are still in place. 




Preserve and conserve these lands for all who came before us. Preserve and conserve these lands for all to come. Including Giants.

Tread lightly,
Cheers and you can Happy Hour in Utah too,

Jeff

Extra reading assignments 


5 comments:

  1. Amen, Jeff! Those pictures are gorgeous, especially the cactus flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, thoughtful prose..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thx! Feel free to pass it along. I’ve had more hackers than true hits lately
      How is Oprah going to discover me?

      Delete
  3. Great pictures and story! Thanks for keeping the sacred sacred and sharing your thoughts. Fantastic place! Did you go out to the Citadel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did get to the Citadel on the second try!

      Thx! Feel free to pass it along. I’ve had more hackers than true hits lately
      How is Oprah going to discover me?

      Delete