Friday, May 29, 2020

I’m not mechanically inclined...



The rare times I check under my vehicle’s hoods, all I see are incomprehensible gizmos, gadgets and doohickeys. Well that’s not 100% correct. I can point out the engine and the battery. Oh yeah, and the window washer reservoir too. That’s about it. The rest I chalk up to mechanized magic.

It’s not that I’m stupid or lazy, I’ve never been interested in learning the ins and outs of carburetors, fuel pumps and alternators. I don’t even know the difference between volts, watts and amperes. It’s not a concern of mine. BUT I can tell you Mexico abolished slavery in 1824, the Antiquities Act (granting presidents the right to set aside National Monuments) occurred in 1906, that the National Park Service was established in 1916 and LBJ signed the Wilderness Act into law in 1964.



Great info for trivia contests, but not helpful when things break down. 

Somehow, I’ve survived.

So...recently on a shake down camp out with my new toy, I was forced into dealing with mechanical issues. 

A) I changed a flat tire for the first time since Reagan was President. It only took me two hours.  (The Penske Racing pit crew hasn’t called to offer me a job). Actually I was pretty proud of myself since I wasn’t crushed under the axle while yanking the tire off. AND! All my fingers are still attached.



After patting myself on the back, I shouldered my backpack for a bit of exploring in La Plata Canyon. 

B) Upon my return to my new home, I spotted a marmot peeking out from beneath the front wheel well. Now I know engines are rated by horsepower, there’s no mention of marmot power. Of course, I yelled at it. “Hey! Get outta there!” Apparently it didn’t understand Bronx accented English. The BIGLY rodent retreated into the hinterland of the Toyota’s engine compartment. I discovered how to unlatch the hood and peered inside. Yes, there was a chubby fur ball wedged between a few thingamajigs. I found a stick and poked it with the dull end. It didn’t budge. I prodded it again while yelling, “Come on! Move!” That time it fell out of the compartment and waddled away. I figured I better check to see if there was any damage. I cranked the key and “Whew!” the truck started. Oh what a feeling! Toyota!



The rest of the camp out was somewhat uneventful. 



But what is eventful is the quiet, peace and beauty of La Plata Canyon. I live 15 minutes away from where the La Plata River crosses Highway 160. We are practically neighbors.



Last photo: That’s me in my palatial dining room. 

Stay safe, sane and healthy. 
Jeff




2 comments:

  1. "Honey, why are my hands so retarded?" (Attempting to assemble my shower bench after I broke my hip)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeff-Nice looking rig!! I've seen photos of vehicles parked at trailheads, wrapped in a tarp to keep varmints out of the engine compartment. If you Google the subject, there's some extreme examples pictured.
    Good luck!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete