When I was just a boy, if I got out of line or performed a misdeed, my father would callout to me.
“Jeffy! Be a mensch!”
For those whose Yiddish is a bit rusty. Here’s the definition: “A person of high integrity, honor and compassion.” Probably good traits to aspire to be. Right?

However there were times when I didn’t live up to those high standards. In those moments, Dad would resort to the Nukes. Jewish Guilt. I spent the better part of my life apologizing for a hateful/hurtful remark I made to him when I was five years old! Trust me. It’s easier just to be a mensch than to screw up.
In the present age of descent into Trumpism, I wonder. What kind of mentor would #45/47 be?

Here’s a possible scenario:
“All you White Christian Nationalists kids gather around Grampy Donald. I have some awesome life lessons I’ll teach you. There won’t even be any tuition charges like Trump University!
Kids! There are only two kinds of people in the world. Winners and Losers. That’s it!

Now we’ll play a game to separate the Winners and Weak, Woke Radical Left Losers among you. I’ll say a human trait or a subject and you shout out Winners! Or Losers!
Ready? Here goes:

“Honestly!”
The tykes (Except One) shouted “Losers!”
“Generosity!”
The youngsters (Except One) yelled “Losers!”
“Empathy!”

The impressionable children (Except One) screamed “Losers!”
“Being Corrupt”
The future generation (Except One) roared “Winners!”
“Admitting to a mistake or a loss.”
The majority (Except One) erupted. “Losers!”
Finally Trump had enough of Except One. “Who’s the radical left punk?”
The Trump Youth League whirled around and pointed to the true Christian. “There he is!”

“Get him outta here! Rough him up if you have to. My Attorney General will defend you in court.”
With that, Except One was ushered, punched, pushed out the door.
When the drama was over. Trump said, “Now come over here kids. Don’t mind the Secret Service Agents. It’s your lucky day! I have autographed “Trump 2028” hats for all of you.”

If my Holocaust Surviving father witnessed America’s current state of affairs. He’d say.
“Trump is a Shyster, a Gonif (scoundrel) and a Schnorrer (moocher). He will never be a Mensch.”
So true.
Oy! -Mike J
ReplyDeleteWell said
ReplyDeleteYour mentor honesty integrity and honesty. My dad was don’t smoke cigarettes,don’t drive motorcycles, don’t get married until you are 30!
ReplyDeleteSo true honestly and compassion. ❤️
ReplyDelete