Sunday, February 9, 2020

When I heard Rush...

Limbaugh was about to receive the Medal of Freedom Award, I checked my calendar. Nope. April Fools Day was still months away.Then I Googled a few reliable news networks. (No, not Fox Fear Network). Sure enough, a sexist, racist, homophobic radio personality, who made a career of spouting bluster, bulls—t and bigotry was walking away with the gold. 

Here’s the story behind the medal.

The Presidential Medal of Freedom is awarded by the president of the United States "for especially meritorious contribution to (1) the security or national interests of the United States, or (2) world peace, or (3) cultural or other significant public or private endeavors".

I’m not wandering these days as much as I’m wondering. So I Googled notable Rush Limbaugh quotations. Here’s a few choice gems: 

"If any race of people should not have guilt about slavery, it's Caucasians. The white race has probably had fewer slaves and for a briefer period of time than any other in the history of the world ... And yet white guilt is still one of the dominating factors in American politics. It's exploited, it's played upon, it is promoted, used, and it's unnecessary."


"Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women access to the mainstream of society."

I'm a huge supporter of women. What I'm not is a supporter of liberalism. Feminism is what I oppose, and feminism has led women astray. I love women. I don't know where all this got started. I love the women's movement, especially when walking behind it." 

"When a gay person turns his back on you, it is anything but an insult; it's an invitation.“

On the Central American migrant caravan heading toward the U.S. in 2018: "The objective is to dilute and eventually eliminate or erase what is known as the distinct or unique American culture ... This is why people call this an invasion."

"The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies."

"I’m not saying we should bring [slavery] back, I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark.”

 "We need segregated buses."

Get the point? Now I know what you are thinking. What a great mentor for America’s young people! Well, not exactly.




To be on the impartial side, I did some comparison shopping of other Medal of Freedom Award winner quotes:

From Mother Teresa.

 Let us always meet each other with smile, for the smile is the beginning of love.

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.

From the Reverend Martin Luther King:

 "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. I have a dream today“

From Neal Armstrong:

“That’s one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.”

From Rosa Parks:

Each person must live their life as a model for others.

I would like to be known as a person who is concerned about freedom and equality and justice and prosperity for all people.

From Fred Rogers: 

When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, “Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.”

What were these people thinking? Brotherhood of Man? Equal rights for all Americans? Showing kindness to strangers? The Human Race’s potential for performing incredible feats? Absolutely shocking!

Of course, I’m being facetious. All the above were truly worthy of such an honor. Except Rush.



But Wait! 

Then I thought about the name of the medal. In America we still have Freedom of Speech. One OxyContin popping radio personality has the right to make unsubstantiated and unethical claims about Gays, Blacks, Hispanics and Women. It’s right there in our Constitution’s First Amendment.  (All the while making bank while doing it. It’s estimated the Rusher’s net worth is over 500 million.) 

However, one does not have the right to walk into a crowded movie theater and scream, “Fire! Fire! Fire!” 

BUT! An American has the Second Amendment right to purchase a semi-automatic AR-15 and fire into that same theater. (Aurora, CO. July 20, 2012). 

The US has more than it’s share of hypocrisy and hypocrites. 

Final Rush Quote.



It’s nice to know the God/Goddess of Karma is still lurking out there. Cough! Cough! 

Final Photo: I too, was once bestowed a Gold Medal. I received a prestigious IPPY Award for Self Publishing “Destroying Demons on the Diagonal.” 


Without a hint of irony, I feel I earned this Medal more than Mr. Limbaugh earned his. 











4 comments:

  1. During the past three+ years, I have often wondered ... almost daily, if I am accurately hearing or seeing things as they are presented. This awarding of anything to a man with a monster's mind is yet another mind-boggler. So, thank you for this piece. Thank you for confirming that I have not yet lost my mind. And that, sadly, the monstrous nature of our times is, in fact, a depressing part of these times. I'm going to focus on your Mr. Rogers ... and see you as one of the Helpers. :) With gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. It’s so depressing. It’s easy to feel helpless, and instead I choose to focus on what I can do. To quote MLK, “If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.” I have it tattooed on my left arm so I never forget.

    ReplyDelete