Sunday, May 5, 2019

Seeking Contentment in the Land of...

Thirst and Desiccation.

I’ve been on a protracted tour of my personal Happy Places. Beginning with Grand Canyon National Park, I took time outs in Zion NP, Kodachrome State Park, Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument, Capitol Reef NP and Canyonlands NP. My sprint journey finished up in Great Sand Dunes NP. 

I made a five night R&R stop in Durango, Colorado as well. 

For the most part, the weather was mild to marvelous. I slept with Benedict the Van’s windows ajar. All my campsites had enticing views. My neighbors were respectful and quiet. I saw a few new gorgeous places and got reacquainted with Old Buddy hikes too. My Utah contraband stash of IPAs stayed cold. I expelled many sighs of contentment. Once again,  my World was silent and serene. Happy Times.



There’s a commonality to all these sublime low humidity landscapes. They are all a few hours or a day’s drive from Durango, Colorado. Location, location, location. Did I mention the San Juan Mountains (Colorado’s most beguiling Range) are practically straddling Durango’s lap? Armed with a 4x4 pick-up truck with a camper topping it,  a wanderer can explore for ages. There’s heaps to see around here. Most of it is Virgin Territory to me. 



It’s for the above reasons and scads of others, I’ve plunked down a deposit on a tri-level townhouse beginning on August 1st. It’s a walking distance to Durango’s restaurants, brewpubs, library, pot dispensaries, movie theaters and grocery stores. The unit has an east facing balcony which will be a perfect fit for a Weber Grill. The place is already furnished in a Macho Southwest motif. ( I reckon, I’ll start wearing a cowboy hat.) There’s two bedrooms and three bathrooms with flush toilets.  There’s hot and cold running water. The kitchen is equipped with more than a Coleman Stove and Cooler. (That’s a good thing) The unit has a washer and dryer. There’s over 100 TV channels to veg out over. It has loads of storage space which I won’t come close to filling. 



I’m still a Minimalist. 

After existing for seven years in the Van’s 66 square feet of living area, the townhouse will feel like the Taj Mahal with electricity. I’m joining the World of Grown Ups. I’ll now be a home owner by choice. No longer will I have to stammer an answer when someone asked me, “Where do you live?” 



This might take some getting used to. 

Wish me luck.

Cheers! 
Jeff




6 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS! DURANGO WILL BE LUCKY TO HAVE YOU GRACING THE LAND AND THE BREWPUBS AT HAPPY HOUR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations seems like a nice spot to settle down for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard great things about Durango. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Durango is a beautiful place! We were bummed when our daughter decided to transfer from Ft. Lewis to CU Boulder so we wouldn't have an excuse to go there frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you are making your dreams into reality. 3 bathroom and beyond. Sounds like a Great Jeff plan in action 👁👀🌈

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here’s to the world of grownups.... let me know how it is...lol...
    But seriously, sounds like a great place and plan! Not to mention music festivals!
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete