Tuesday, February 1, 2022

For me, Winter is the Third Great…

Inevitable. The cold, dark and snowy season is only preceded by the other two Great Inevitables. Death and Taxes. It’s no secret, I’m no fan of winter. 

When I began peeling off the fall months on my wall calendar, i knew it was time to go proactive. Three weeks in an overpriced VRBO in Snobsdale, AZ, BOOKED! A week plus with Brother Mike and Sister-in-law Robin in FL. BOOKED! Two weeks of camping in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. BOOKED???

Yes, I was concerned about being n the same camp spot  for fourteen nights. It would be a first for me. I’m sort of a restless Wandering Wondering Jew. I prepared for this outing by purchasing a National Geographic Organ Pipe Cactus map. Hmmm. It’s right on the border of Mexico. Looks like there’s a few hiking trails, but not an overwhelming amount. Closest town with a grocery store is 35 miles away in Ajo. I better provision up with lots of IPAs, coffee and I guess some food too.



After a nine hour, 600 mile cruise, I found myself at Campsite #160. “So this will be home for two weeks?” were my initial thoughts. I set Sanctuary Too up in 70 degree temps,  popped open a camp chair and a Double IPA while enjoying a technicolor sunset. This might not be so bad after all.



I established a comfortable routine. Wake early, drink coffee, watch the sunrise, eat, set off for a 6-12 mile hike, return to camp, eat, shower, read or write, drink beer number one, watch the sunset, eat, stargaze with beer number two, read and go to sleep. I know, pretty exhausting yet simplistic. 



My neighbors were cold weenies from mostly wintery states: the Dakotas, Maine, Minnesota, Washington, Wyoming, Wisconsin and LOTS from Colorado. One older Dude from Salida, CO nailed the Snowbird sentiments. “My skin is getting thinner. It’s seems harder for me to stay warm in the winter, I’m really enjoying  these toasty, dry temperatures. My joints don’t ache either.”

Exactly! 



The campground is dominated by pairs of retirees. I smile while waving a friendly hello as they amble by. Then I’ll  return to my Kindle book. I rarely engage in conversations. I’m not the kind of guy who intrudes on other’s Endless Honeymoons. Besides its just a stark reminder that I’m a single senior citizen in a Couples World. I’m already well aware of this. 



Organ Pipe National Monument isn’t all perfection though. Being this close to the Mexican Border gives it a feel of a Demilitarized Zone. All those lurking Border Patrol Agents, old mining roads with “CLOSED” signs on them, the discarded migrant debris and the Good Samaritan oasis’s. It’s hard not to feel someone is watching you, even though you are probably alone.




All in all, this has been a great-eyes-wide-open getaway. Will I be back? Heck Yes! Maybe this is a sign of maturity and aging. I can sit still longer and enjoy the little things, especially when it’s warm and sunny.



It’s my mea culpa to be a cold weenie. But, I’ve always been this way. At this point of my life I might as well do what makes me happier. I’m not languishing, feeling too lonely or experiencing malaise. For me, these are positive objectives. 


Here’s a suggestion. Do what makes you feel better no matter what your Great Inevitables are. 



Last photo: in Organ Pipe NM the  Sprinter Vans are gathering for the start of mating season. It’s not dangerous to be near them until the males go into rut. Then I suggest putting it into reverse very slowly. 

Next stop Death Valley National Park.



Cheers,
Jeff





5 comments:

  1. Darn!!! My comment which was especially carefully written,vanished all of a sudden,before I even finished it!

    Not repeating it. All I’ll say now… enjoyed reading your piece of written art !

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you talk to some of these folks more, they might know just the right traveling partner for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual, I enjoy your blogs! Glad you seem to be doing well. You wouldn't like visiting us this time of year--really cold the past couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous blog Jeff,

    Check out ¨No More Deaths.¨ They are a wonderful group doing important work along the border.

    https://nomoredeaths.org/en/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post as always and we share the same sentiments about winter. Happy trails my friend.

    ReplyDelete