Thursday, June 17, 2021

“Jeffy! I don’t have time…


It was way back when on a yearly Florida pilgrimage to see my Dad. (AKA Sid), when I noticed his reading habits. 

Just like a precision Swiss watch a Sunday edition Palm Beach Sun Sentinel newspaper would materialize at his door. Sid would then meticulously sort it out in order of importance. TV section placed reverently by his remote. Grocery ads stacked into a pile. International and National news sections placed on top. Beneath were the local news and arts and entertainment last. The sports section got the heave ho, unless I was around. Through the course of a week, he’d ration out that one newspaper. An article one day, a section the next day and maybe interspersed with a rest day. 

Me being me, thought, “Hmmm! I’ll call the Sentinel and buy Sid an everyday subscription of newspapers. That way, he’d be up on current events and he wouldn’t have to dole out his news each day.”  So that’s what I did.



A few days later, I got a call from Sid. 

“Jeffy!” He shouted. It was in his tune me up tone of voice. 

“Yes? What’s wrong?”

“Did you get me a subscription of daily newspapers?”

“Yes. I thought you’d like that.” 

“Jeffy! I don’t have TIME to read the newspaper! I’m BUSY!”



Mind you this came from a man whose daily schedule revolved around meal purchasing and preparation. The other hours were spent napping. 

So if you’ve been following my blog along, you’ve picked up the “BUSY! “ capitalized for emphasis.



This is a Sidism. I consider it a Yogism only less poignant or hilarious. 

So now, when I phone people, I’ll ask (if they pick up), “Are you BUSY? Do you have time to talk?. I’ll keep this short.” 

Most Americans lead BUSY lives. I don’t and I won’t.  



There were heaps of other Sidisms. Here’s a few of the Sambur family favorites.

“Wait awhile! Wait awhile! You mean to tell me…” He said this when he was trying to grasp a new concept. 

“I analyzed the situation. I should have been a psychiatrist.” 

“Jeffy! You need to be your own Doctor.” 

“God Willing!”

“You’re pissing your money away.” This was his financial advice. 

“You’re talking crazy!” (I use this one all the time. So succinct and straightforward).



So… on the eve of a Father’s Day weekend, I’d like to say, thank you Sid for all of your lines of wisdom. We didn’t always see eye to eye (I was three inches taller than you) on things, but I  knew you always loved and cared about me. You were a little man with BIGLY opinions. You were a character. 

Like your youngest turned out to be.

Cheers to all the great Dads out there. Sid was one of them.
Jeff 





1 comment: