Saturday, April 10, 2021

It’s time for....

Covid Confessions!

I’ve blogged about the Pandemic Crisis since it’s inception. I never called it the Chinese Virus, or pretend it just wasn’t there. As usual I was excessively honest. There weren’t many Polly Anna posts.

Collectively I’ve named these musings my Covid Chronicles. I’d like to think a few were poignant, some sad and one or two were funny. I went out of my way to tell it like it is. When I wrote about my feelings of isolation, loneliness and spasms of depression, some concerned readers asked me, “Are you OK?” My answer was the same, “I’m hanging in there. I’m just writing what so many others are thinking. This sucks.” 

Recently, the New York Times reached out to its readers for their accounts of this universal malaise. The one’s  I read were also poignant, sad and funny. For instance: the young man who stared at a wall for over an hour before blinking himself back to the here and now. 



The New York Times provided me with an idea. Why not ask folks what’s on their post-pandemic bucket list? In other words, what’s one of the first things you will do when the Scientist Eggheads tell the World it’s safe to come outside and play? (Without a mask!)

I’ll start this off with a couple of my planned events:

A) To be sitting inside a bar while taking in a MLB post season game. I’d be jawing with strangers whom the only commonality we share is our mutual love of America’s Pastime. There will be a lot of story-telling and good natured ribbing. 

B) Attending an outdoor Brew Fest or concert where I’d settle in on the outskirts of the action. This is my preferred position of comfort for someone like me who isn’t into crowds, yet loves to People Watch.



C) The long awaited hugs from friends and acquaintances whom I haven’t touched in over a year. 



All the above are my wishful thinking dreams. The US and the World still have a long way to go before achieving Herd Immunity. As of this posting, 21% of America’s population are fully inoculated. 34% have one jab onboard. 

Yet, there is a looming wall of vaccine hesitancy (a pleasant way of saying anti-vaxxers)  on our horizon. Of course, the division lines run along political and racial issues. (Doesn’t everything these days?). A significant percentage of Republicans state they will not get the vaccine. The numbers range from 40%-50%  based on the polls. Many Blacks and Latinos aren’t  excited about boarding the vaccine train either. Their issues might be based on mistrust of White Folks. (Who can blame them?)



Personally, I believe it’s an established fact germs and viruses cause a world of hurt for humanity. Vaccines and antibiotics provide a tool to combat these ills. However, I’m aware the US is now a country of contrarians. Therefore I won’t bother to change anyone’s minds. Only time and Darwinism will prove who is right and who is wrong.



BTW. I received my second dose of Moderna on March 30th. I feel fine and relieved. I now stand a better chance of not transmitting or contracting the nasty

So back to the audience participation part of this post! Please write to the most unholy Rabbi Sambini what your post pandemic desires are. I’ll collect them and create another blog with your thoughts. All participants will remain anonymous. If you’d like, include a photo. There’s no need for the pix to be a selfie either. 



For those folks who really know me, text your thoughts.

For others, post a comment at the end of this blog.

Finally if all else fails, contact me at: 

(I promise not to try to make you an Amway distributor) 

You’ve been hearing from me for a long time. I’d like to hear from you.

Stay safe, sane and healthy,
I’m so looking forward to a few hugs.
Cheers,
Jeff




FYI. Here was my most popular Covid post. Probably because so many folks could relate to what I was saying.



5 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff! Great blog posting today. I also got my second Moderna shot on March 30th and am thus looking eagerly to April 13. I felt crappy the next morning and needed to sleep. Got up again at 1:00 p.m. and gradually felt better and better. Since one of my big passions is hiking and backpacking and I often do that solo, that has not been impacted much by COVID. That said, I do look forward to feeling more carefree on the trail and at campgrounds when interacting with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs, baseball games and concerts! And visits to other parts of the country and the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing the world again. Volunteering in a foreign land. Seeing my friends in the usa and welcoming visitors to NZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. what do you think the fishies are thinking out there? i'd like to go ask them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To say I am forever grateful for the dedication of our safety by our incredibly wonderful and brilliant scientists is such an understatement. For me, I long to see (in person) family, friends, full faces, smiles, dinner and party gatherings, blue water, white sand, happy hours, the inside of restaurants and airplanes, frequent empty gas tank levels, more smiles, concerts, festivals, Broncos, Rockies, Rangers and Longhorn games, the brilliant color of people's clothing in crowded stadiums and even more and more smiles!!! "These are a few of my favorite things..." Bring them all on! I am ready!!!

    ReplyDelete