Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Our Worst Years.

We’ve all had them. 365 days when nothing seems to go right. We feel jinxed and abhor these extended moments. We crave to tack up a new wall calendar, one with the promise of better days ahead.

In my 66 years, I’ve had two notable years that (I’ll be blunt) SUCKED! 




In 1972, I was just seventeen when my dear Mom passed away. To this day, I dwell on how I lost years of her potentially positive influence. There was so much more goodness, gentleness and generosity I could have acquired from that tiny woman. I feel like I was robbed of so many lessons I might have learned. 




2010  was the beginning of another infamous year. In the late fall, a driver made a hard left into me and my bicycle. My helmeted head and shoulder snapped off the sedan’s side mirror. My left knee twisted. I didn’t lose consciousness, so I came up cursing. The young male driver was wise enough to apologize. This incident triggered a downward spiral of poop including:

A) The worst orthopedic quack in the world ignoring the prescribed MRI report. Thus performing an unnecessary surgery on a knee that was merely bruised but not broken. I came out of surgery barely able to amble. Apparently his arthroscopic skill level bordered on barbaric. Weeks later, when I called him on his haste not to glance at my MRI report, his retort? “I only scoped you. Get over it.” I should have decked him.



B) I began 2011 attending PT sessions to relearn how to walk. It was well into March before I could limp up trails. As part of my PT I hesitantly returned to bicycle riding. By April, I performed my favorite Tucson activity. I left.  On July 11th, I was bicycle touring in Montana when I was struck from behind by a speeding sedan. An accident which should have killed me, but I beat the odds. It takes more than 11 broken vertebrae, a busted sternum and 20 stitches in my face to put me in an urn. So...back to PT I went to alleviate the damages. I freaking hated 2011. I was robbed by three nincompoops of a year’s worth of play, health and happiness. If you’re detecting bitterness, you are correct.

2020 of course has been rotten for most of humanity. As the saying goes, “Misery loves company.” For once I have plenty of company, but I can’t speak to them without wearing a mask. Forget about touching anyone! It’s been a tough year to be sociable. Even for a hermit who occasionally socializes like me. 





We’ve all been robbed physically, emotionally, economically and for 323,000 Americans their very existence. It’s been one drawn out mess. We are now mired down in a winter of Covid discontent. New cases and daily death counts are soaring. A pathogen caused 911 disaster each day.



BUT! There’s hope on the horizon. It comes in a little vial and requires two applications. Yes, the vaccine. I’m waiting impatiently until it’s my turn at bat. Until then I’ll stay in solitary confinement. However, I’m well aware that the vast majority of Americans need to get onboard the vaccination train. It’s the way to achieve Herd Immunity. It’s not called Lone Wolf Immunity for a reason. Please. Be a Team Player so we can all reenter into a more normal society. (I’ll buy you drinks at a real Happy Hour if you do!) 







Wishing you and yours a saner, safer and healthier 2021.


Cheers,
Jeff

Last photo: Take That 2020!





7 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jeff. Wishing you and everybody a healthier, happier, more humane 2021. -Jeff from Boston

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well Jeff,those were very bad times!! You made it through and can enjoy your life still ❣️
    As so many people I can relate to your miserable years which are lost and it’s hard to never being able to catch up with them.
    On the other hand we can be grateful for still being alive and even though some parts of our wings have been lost and we can’t fly that high anymore,we still have a lot of great memories to enjoy and a positive outlook towards the New Year ❣️
    May enough people will get the vaccine, so by the end of next year we might be able to say we have survived and are done with Covid!!
    Cheers ❣️❣️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know of the extent of your accidents. I remember seeing that photo with the neck brace. I thought that you had just gotten tired of holding your head up. How is your body holding up now? I know some of the aches and pains can linger for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is this Chi Chi L?

      I came back pretty good from the accident. I can’t move my head like I used to. I have lots of scars on my face if you look close enough. I really should have been killed that day.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you are not in an urn!!!
    Happy and Healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes two of us.
      Here’s to a happier new year.

      Delete
  5. You’re hard boiled but a real good egg! Glad you aren’t in someone’s grille or in an urn you’re very special to me! Happy New Year! Dad got his second vaccine, 87 no reactions, he’s got dementia so he doesn’t remember it! The only one who enjoys dementia is the patient everything is a new experience for them. God bless you! Hope our paths cross in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete